Bucks Skills Hub worked in partnership with Study Higher to coordinate a highly successful, inspirational careers day for the entire school at Aylesbury Vale Academy at the end of last term.
Each year group experienced their own carousel of activities, which included:
- Study Higher, a network of higher education (HE) providers funded by the National Collaborative Outreach Programme (NCOP), stimulated students with ‘Tasty Science’.
- STEM ambassadors challenged students to prevent a Lego model of Oxford from flooding and to build stable straw towers.
- Students experienced a range of motivational workshops presented by Buckingham, Bedfordshire, Bucks New and Oxford Brookes universities.
- HS2 and Fusion provided engineering and design challenges and an ecology quiz.
- Students were introduced to Labour Market Information through a Top Trumps card game (pictured) and a presentation from the Local Enterprise Partnership.
- Apprenticeship information was presented by ASK Amazing Apprenticeships.
- All students also attended a careers fair with a range of businesses.
- Students were enthralled in activities with Science Oxford that included designing, building and testing rockets from earth to planet Haagen (‘Mission to Haagen’).
- Science theatre ‘futurology’ demonstrations and a planetarium providing spectacular space shows added a real ‘wow’ factor to this hugely successful careers day.